That Logic Blog

June 20, 2005

Typesetting

I am busy writing a longish paper on some proof theoretic mumbo jumbo. As such, I probably won't post much until the blasted thing is finished (writing about logic is not a very efficacious way to have a break from writing about logic :). But, that is not the point of this post.

Typesetting a logic paper, especially a structural proof theory one, can be quite tedious. I am aware of the Latex for Logicians page and am using the bussproofs package for typesetting formal proofs and calculi and such. Later on, I will probably need to typeset some proof nets also. For this, I am thinking of using the XY-Pic package, which I have used in the past for drawing simple diagrams.

Does anyone with experience typesetting this sort of thing have any helpful suggestions? In particular, if you have hacked up some macros or parsers or such that make the job a little easier, I'd be most grateful if you would pass it on! Even some code snippets of good ways to typeset stuff like proof nets would be handy, so that I don't need to reinvent the wheel. Thanks!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For proofnets I've been using pgf. (Here's some example code ). It combines well with beamer, which is nice for presentations. It's still a matter of putting things on an x-y grid, alas. (I'd much prefer to do something like specifying certain relative positions and let the computer figure the rest out, but that's not available except with MetaPost, as far as I can tell.) 

Posted by Greg Restall

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Greg. The pdf linked to in that page seems to be broken though. 

Posted by Jon

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... It's working here. What happens when you try to use it? (It could be some webserver mime-type voodoo, seeing as the file isn't being served with a pdf extension. Regardless, I've put the file in http://consequently.org/temp/graph_and_proof_example.pdf . Try getting it from there.)

Greg 

Posted by Greg Restall

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah that fixed it...it was complaining about it being a malformed pdf file or something of the sort. Thanks. 

Posted by Jon

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do let me know if you find useful stuff to add to LaTeX for Logicians! (Though I'll not have internet access for a while to update the site.) 

Posted by Peter Smith

2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home